So you’d like to create promo codes to give to people so they don’t have to pay for your app? You’re in the right place. Here’s a step by step guide on how to generate these promo codes for your Apple app:
- Login to iTunes Connect
- Click the My Apps icon
- Select the app you wish to generate promo codes for…
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You’ll see Promo Codes is a link at the bottom.
- Enter the number of codes you’re after. You’re only given 100 for each version of app, and they expire after 4 weeks…so choose wisely!
- Click continue once you’ve entered the number…and agree to the contract you’re prompted with!
- You’ll then be prompted to download the codes. These will appear in your Downloads folder as a .txt file. Each line is a new code.
Redeeming the codes…here’s some instructions you can send to the people you’re giving the codes to.
On iPhone / iPad
- Go to the App Store, scroll to the bottom and hit redeem.
- You’ll be prompted to login.
- After this, enter the code given and hit OK.
- Your app will begin to download.
- On the right hand side under Quick Links you’ll see Redeem is an option.
- After you’ve clicked this you’ll be taken to a screen where you can enter a code manually.
- Paste the code in here and hit redeem.
- The app will then begin to download to iTunes.
NB: Turn on automatic downloads if you want the app downloaded to your devices automatically. On the device go to Settings, iTunes and App Store, and ensure Automatic Downloads for apps is turned on.
Alternatively, sync your device with iTunes after the app has downloaded.